Main

gearboxtgc1 eng.gif



Reflections

Reflection 1

one of the problems we faced was getting the gears to line up they were always just off. It was easy to fix. Just trial and error. The next problem was making the levers, which never wanted to turn easily. We had to turn the gearbox around and do it again.
The good things were that we were very skilled at using k'nex which makes everything easier, and had a god Idea of what to build before we got to actually build.

Reflection 2

Everything is going very well, but we have a small box and not a lot of space. We had to take it all apart. Our second problem was a gear was sticking out, and we didn't like that. We added on more pieces and made it look more symmetrical.
As before, we have a lot of knowledge about k'nex, so it was not the most challenging problem. Since we were basically done, we added "decorations" to it, and it worked really well.

Reflection 3

Way one my partner and I found was to find how many times lever one rotates when lever 2 turns once. We can divide lever one by lever two to find mechanical advantage

Way 2 we found was to find how many gear teeth one lever has, and the same with the other. With these numbers just like way one, the larger number is the numerator and vice versa.

The final way we found is to find the radii and as with the others, set up a fraction to solve the ratio

Reflection 4

Toland:
This time, one thing that didn't go well was that the paper was very thin. When I messed up, which was unfortunately a bit more than I wanted it to be, the paper would give out. This was easy to overcome, all I had to do was erase very lightly.

The second problem was a memory issue, I forgot what my observation method ratio was. I asked you (Mrs. Jacobs) who asked the class what they got for a medium to small gear ratio, and I got the answer, which I since forgot again

Leo:
It was hard because reason one I always forgot to write in capital letters and I had to erase when I messed up and it ruined the page. It also was hard to write from right to left.

Reflection 5

This time we did our gearbox, there were a lot of challenging things. This time we had four gears, which was twice as many as last time. It was a challenge to make them all fit. Eventually we got it to work though. The second problem was on our axes were not long enough to support all of our gears so we had to redo that and reverse engineer it.

Since we made the other gearbox, it is a lot easier to build it. Our strategy is to connect the gears and find the pieces that fit between them. Our location compared to the pieces is very close. This has probably saved us minutes each day to build our gearbox better.

Reflection 6

Before, we used yellow rods for the axels, but they were too short so we had to use a bigger rod. The next bigger rod was the red rod, so that was our replacement.
Our second problem was the gears were moving so fast that the handle snapped of so we doubled the width.

We had good teamwork, so I made the gears and the axels and Leo made the box part. This let us complete this task very fast